2014年11月30日星期日

Ancient India/China Writing

AgnesYu  

World History 1 Period 7

12/1/14

Dear citizens:

  I'm your king Ashoka. Today I want to tell you about my early years when I fought the 

Kalinga War. it relates to why I oppose wars today and begin to spread out Buddhism.

  It's all started with my grandfather. When I was in the 8th year of my reign, my grandfather 

Chandragupta wanted to annex Kalinga, which I knew that he wants to do that for a long time. But 

he failed to do so

  Later there was a cruel battle for the throne of the Mauryan Empire, it happened after the death of 

my father Bindusara. I won the battle and inherit the idea from my grandfather: I wanted to annex 

Kalinga. And I killed 100,000 people for success! But after seeing how many people I've killed, I was

filled with sorrow and remorse: this battle changed my view on wars. I remember one time there's a

woman told me that "Your actions have taken from me my father, husband, and son. Now what will I

have left to live for?" I was moved by these words, and vowed to never take life again and I found my 

relief in Buddhism and became an emperor with values. I adopted Buddhism. My wish for peace was

undisturbed by famines or natural disasters. And under my rule, my people did not suffer from 

onslaught by any migration, in addition, the peaceful country helped extend economic prosperity. 

  All life knows suffering. Nobody gets what they want out of life.

The cause of suffering is ignorance and clinging. Wanting it is the problem.

There is a way to end suffering. By learning not to want it.

This is the way to end suffering: The Eightfold Path.

Right Understanding Learning the nature of reality and the truth about life.

Right Aspiration Making the commitment to living in such a way that our suffering can end.

Right Effort Just Do It. No Excuses.

Right Speech Speaking the truth in a helpful and compassionate way.

Right Conduct Living a life consistent with our values.'

Right Livelihood Earning a living in a way that doesn’t hurt others.

Right Mindfulness Recognizing the value of the moment; living where we are.

Right Concentration Expanding our consciousness through meditation.

[They are essentially the same through every sect and tradition of Buddhism]

[The Four Noble Truths are a very important aspect of the teachings of the Buddha]

Non-violence is at the heart of Buddhist thinking and behavior.

  Thank you for being here today.

  

没有评论:

发表评论